Since 1845, Southern Baptists have cooperated together in the task of the Great Commission through the funding and sending of missionaries around the world.
Today, the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC) has approximately 5,000 foreign missionaries. These Southern Baptist missionaries are funded through the generous giving of missions-minded Baptists and their churches through the Cooperative Program (CP). Though the CP was not established until 1925, for 80 years (1845-1925) Southern Baptists funded missionaries through other means of cooperative giving. Some years brought more giving than others and in 1894 B. D. Gray, Chairman of the Home and Foreign Missions Committee, gave a healthy exhortation to Southern Baptists in Dallas, Texas at the SBC Annual Meeting. Continue reading